Introduction and challenges
The length of the implementation phase varies depending on the number of sites to be migrated. It consists of a preparation phase, a transition phase during which activities are transferred to shared services and a stabilization phase.
The implementation phase cannot be improvised. Implementing a new organization is complex in many respects, with technical risks related to knowledge transfer, social and HR risks. Moreover, further complexity can result from differing information systems and the international context firms find themselves in.
Our experience with shared services projects has helped us identify five key success factors for successful implementation. The first is the support of top management and the alignment of the managers concerned by the project. The second is the anticipation and management of the social dimension of the project. The third is the choice of the location and site of the shared services center. The fourth is the requirement to recruit high-quality teams. The fifth is the preparation and rigorous management of the critical transition phase to maintain quality and service continuity.
How we can help
Argon & Co supports its clients in all stages of implementing a shared services project across all sites globally Our experts have twenty years’ experience in the implementation of shared services, managing the risks and increasing the speed of implementation in a sustainable way.
The implementation program is structured around eight key areas with strong dependencies:
- HR and communication strategy: definition, preparation and follow-up of the information-consultation procedure, communication management
- Infrastructure: location choice, site selection, contracting, infrastructure preparation
- Organization and governance: detailed design of the target organization and governance, job descriptions, recruitment and training plan and monitoring
- Processes: validation of the detailed scope, documentation of processes
- IT systems: identification and implementation of IT system ways of working (e.g. access and authorizations, workflows)
- SLA, KPI and re-invoicing: definition of services and management indicators, baselining (construction of a reference base), performance monitoring and re-invoicing
- Transition: preparation of activity migration, knowledge transfer management and work shadowing, stabilization management
- Project management and governance: definition of project governance, organization and key milestones, project management, risk identification and management